Badu House History
The Badu House was built in 1891 by the Austin architectural firm
of Larramour and Watson. It was originally constructed to serve
as the First National Bank of Llano, with office space on the
second story. In March 1898, the bank became defunct and the building
was sold to French native N.J. Professor Badu, a noted
Professor Badu and his family made a home of the Badu House and
the building was passed down for generations. Even until 1980,
the Badu House was still owned by Mrs. Robert (Carrol) Phelan,
granddaughter of Mr. Badu.
In 1980, Ann and Earl Ruff of Houston, Texas purchased the Badu
House and restored it as a restaurant and country inn.
Throughout the last 20 years, the Badu House has had several different
owners, but most often it was known as a lovely restaurant, bar
and bed and breakfast.
Ted Lusher, a Llano county rancher and Austin businessman, purchased
the Badu House in 2005 and a lengthy restoration leaves it in
the pristine condition you will find it in today. Mr. Lusher is
an avid art collector with many of his treasures displayed throughout
the property. In the Spring of 2007, an extension of the Badu
House will open (directly across Tarrant Street) and serve as
an art gallery and banquet facility..
to Email The Badu House